The Ancient Parish
Early Wythall
Pre-conquest Evidence
Medieval Wythworth
The Church Beginnings
Wythall in the Middle Ages
Warwickshire 1567
Wythall 1500 - 1800
The Early Nonconformists
Wythall Chapel 1826
Wythall Chapel 1848
The Growing Parish
St Marys Wythall, Exterior
St Marys Wythall, Interior
Church Description
Organ Specification
Wythall Baptist Church
St Aidan's RC
R A F Wythall
Historical Buildings

RAF Wythall

RAF Wythall was opened in 1939 as the HQ of No. 6 Balloon Barrage Centre, responsible for the balloon defence of the southern part of Birmingham and Coventry. Later the Centre assumed responsibility for balloon defence of the whole of Birmingham and part of the Black Country. Six hundred miles of territory were covered and many WAAF personnel, as well as RAF men, were engaged at the Centre and on the balloon sites.

After the war, the Station became the WAAF Demobilisation Centre, handling the release of all air service women engaged in every theatre of war. When the Demobilisation Centre was closed, having completed its purpose, the station became the HQ of No. 1 School of Administrative Trades.

The School was transferred to Hereford in 1949 and the station was closed: it remained so on a care and maintenance basis until 1951. when it was taken over by No. 90 Signals Group, now Signals Command.

RAF Wythall was finally closed operationally at the end of 1959. During the next few years of “care and maintenance” it became well known for its beautifully kept gardens and greenways. The station occupied some 12 acres in all. Following the reorganisation of the Ministry of Defence and the three Armed Services in 1964, it was decided that the RAF would have no future use for the station and the land was put up for sale by auction. In July 1965. forty three acres, which included disused hangars, were sold by auction and in February 1967 a further 18 acres were sold to Bromsgrove RDC. and has now become Wythe Heath Mobile Homes Park.

S J Price